Thursday, August 21, 2008

Girl suspended for wearing pink hair as a tribute to her dead father


A Mountain Grove, Mo., seventh grader has been suspended from school for wearing pink hair as a tribute to her dead father. From Associated Press:

A southern Missouri school district has suspended a pink-haired seventh-grader.

Mountain Grove Middle School student Amelia Robbins said she dyed her hair pink to honor her father, who died of cancer when she was 6 years old. She says that to her, pink is the cancer color.


The 12-year-old said that when she finished 6th grade with pink streaks in her hair, school administrators warned her not to continue wearing the color. But with her mother's permission, Amelia dyed all of her hair pink, and her school year ground to a halt just days after it started.

She doesn't think her hair color is a distraction.

The school handbook says administrators have the authority to decide whether a student is causing a distraction. Officials declined to discuss specifics of Amelia's case.


(KY3 Photo)

1 comment:

Grandmom of 6 said...

When my father died with cancer, I painted the walls of my bedroom pink. When my mother died with cancer I painted the entire outside of my house pink.
Those who suspended this child have a GROSS misunderstanding of the HORRORS loved ones deal with when those close to them suffer ENORMOUS pain and suffering. I am 55 years old now and I am OUTRAGED!!! for this precious little girl who is obviously suffering.